The following are excerpts from reports in the Peabody Police Department press log from Jan. 27.
Sunday, Jan. 27
- 1:39 a.m. An off-duty officer reported there was a suspicious black late model pickup truck checking out property in the area of Catherine Drive. Police checked the area, but the truck was gone.
- 1:40 a.m. Julio C. Brito, 38, of 37 Roslyn St. #2, Salem, was arrested, following a two-car accident at the corner of Margin Street and South Shore Avenue. He was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol (second offense), a marked lanes violation and negligent operation of a vehicle. Police said there were no injuries.
- 6:25 a.m. A caller reported a water main break at the intersection of Mount Vernon and Walnut streets. See related story.
- 10:41 a.m. An officer checked a home at 61 County St. and reported there was no yard sale going on at that time -- the resident was cited the day before for holding a yard sale without a permit.
- 10:44 a.m. Staff at the Coach store in the mall reported a past shoplifting incident. Five Coach bags were taken sometime around 5:30 p.m. the day before. Employees said two suspicious females were in the store: an Hispanic woman in her 30s with a butterfly tattoo on her shoulder and a black woman, also in her 30s.
- 1 p.m. An elderly pedestrian was struck by a motor vehicle while crossing Lowell Street outside Saint Adelaide's. See related story.
- 3:23 p.m. Two 24-year-old Salem women were issued court summonses for shoplifting after being detained by security at JC Penney.
- 3:34 p.m. A 23-year-old Salem man was transported to the hospital after his Hyundai Accent crashed into a pole on Lowell Street near the Hess gas station. A second car driven by a 76-year-old Peabody man was also involved in the accident. The Hyundai was towed from the scene and no charges or citations were issued at the time.
- 3:36 p.m. An officer reported receiving a message that claimed a female was shot and hiding in the bathroom of a County Street home. Police checked the residence and said all was in order -- no one was shot.
- 4:39 p.m. A caller reported kids were skating on the ice at Crystal Lake and had a bonfire going. An officer spoke with the youths and said the fire was extinguished.
- 7:56 p.m. A caller at the Tannery Apartments on Crowninshield Street reported her ex stole her dog. Police said the man left in a vehicle, possibly headed to Salem and possibly intoxicated. Salem police were notified to be on the lookout for the vehicle. Police said proof of ownership of the dog could not be determined through veterinary paperwork and that it was therefore a civil matter.
For questions on this log, email firstname.lastname@example.org.