- Mayor Ted Bettencourt is expecting a special visit Wednesday afternoon from a dignitary back home in the Azores. The Vice-Mayor of Santa Cruz, Graciosa, Portugal, Maria Conceicao Cordeiro, will stop by City Hall while's she in town for the week to visit family in Peabody. Bettencourt says there's no relation he knows of, although he does have relatives who live in Graciosa, which is one of the largest islands in the Azores. He says his paternal grandparents came from the mainland of Portugal (grandfather) and the Azores (grandmother).
- Both Peabody High boys' and girls' soccer are in the playoffs and have at least a piece of their respective league titles in the NEC Large. The Lady Tanners have to share theirs with Beverly this year, which came away Friday with its first ever regular season win over Peabody. It was the first time the girls lost in the NEC since 2010. The boys', however, won the title outright with a 11-0-4 record in the NEC. Tournament pairings will be announced Wednesday by the MIAA.
- Wednesday morning is also the annual Halloween party down at the Torigian Center. We understand the mayor will be attending in costume as one of his political heroes, Abe Lincoln.
- Stop by City Hall Saturday for a free showing of the HBO film "Life According to Sam." Seating is limited, so reservations are encouraged.
- On Sunday, it's the ninth annual Apple Pie Baking Contest up at Brooksby Farm. Check out the official rules here.
Make sure to check our local events calendar and boards section for even more happenings around Peabody.