- Licensing Board: Representatives from SpringHill Suites will be before the Licensing Board Monday night (6:45 p.m.) for a new beer and wine package store license. The hotel is located at 43 Newbury St., which is the address listed in a public notice for the license. There is also a commercial development underway in one of two outlying lots in front of the hotel. That front parcel is 47 Newbury St. Tentative plans for that project included a restaurant and some retail. The board will also consider a petition to transfer ownership of the beer and wine license held at Gallo Nero. The new owner and manager of record at the Main Street pizzeria will be Aleko Pashaj.
- The city is hosting another community meeting Tuesday at the West Branch Library to discuss downtown Peabody. The meeting starts at 6 p.m. Pizza will be provided. The city will be looking at three particular parcels downtown that are either underutilized or vacant and would like some public input on what types of stores or services are missing now and what could occupy those spaces. A related survey will also be distributed and posted on the city's website.
- The School Committee also meets for its regular session Tuesday (7:30 p.m.) at the Kiley School.
- Parent orientations are this week at the city's elementary schools. Carroll School parents are scheduled for their session Tuesday, followed by Brown and West parents Wednesday and orientations for Burke, Center, McCarthy, South and Welch parents on Thursday. All orientations run from 6-8 p.m.
- Do you know who Civil War Gen. Grenville Dodge was and what connection he has to Peabody? Tag along Wednesday (3 p.m.) for a downtown history walk led by local historian Bill Power to find out. There will also be a commemorative plaque dedicated to Dodge during the walk, and it's free to attend.
- The Peabody Area Chamber of Commerce is co-hosting a job fair and business expo Thursday at Holiday Inn (4 p.m.). You can register for free admission, free parking, door prizes and a networking reception at www.peabodychamber.com.
- The City Council meets for its regular session Thursday with the Legal Affairs Committee first at 6 p.m., followed by Industrial & Community Development at 6:30 p.m. and Finance Committee at 7 p.m. before the full council convenes at 7:30 p.m.
- La Cage aux Folles is playing at the North Shore Music Theatre Friday to benefit homelessness prevention services run by North Shore Community Action Programs in Peabody. A pre-show reception with a light dinner begins at 6 p.m. and curtain time for the musical is 8 p.m. Tickets are $65 each and available at www.nscap.org.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something