- Music at Eden’s Edge presents “Close Encounters with Music” at the Main Branch Library. The program is a four-part series that combines lecture and performance to explore the world of classical music. The series starts Monday at 7 p.m. with “Winter Holiday Magic: Trolling the Ancient Yuletide Carol; Seeking Hanukkah and Solstice in Word and Song.” Samuel Lasman narrates, Andrea LeBlanc is on baroque flute, Sarah Freiberg on baroque cello and Maria Benotti plays baroque violin. They will cover traditional holiday music as well as ancient music and texts, and get the audience involved as well. Space is limited, so call 978-531-0100 ext. 10 to see if there are still seats available or register online at http://www.peabodylibrary.org.
- The Zoning Board of Appeals meets Monday (7 p.m.) at City Hall. You can find the agenda here.
- Want to learn about some baby basics? Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates is partnering with Babies R Us to offer free parenting classes and will be holding an hour long session Tuesday morning.
- The Peabody Area Chamber of Commerce's Government Affairs & Economic Development Committee will meet Thursday (4 p.m.) with Judy Barrett of RKG Associates to talk downtown revitalization trends, obstacles, etc. Barrett is a consultant working with the city on public outreach and soliciting input from the community.
- There's a mob style Christmas party Thursday at Spinelli's. Tickets include an Italian buffet, cash bar and a show by the cast of the Real Wicked Housewives of the Mob Boston, along with Christmas and dance music from Tre Bella and the Goodfellas and a special appearance by "Joey Voices."
- Nutcracker storytime: Dancers from the Boston Ballet will put on a "Nutcracker"-themed story time for preschoolers at the library on Friday (10 a.m.). You can learn more about ballet performance as well. Registration is required.
- There's a presentation for parents scheduled for Thursday on "Understanding the Common Core." The program will be held at the West School at 6 p.m. in the school conference room.
- Admission deadlines: If you're planning on enrolling your child(ren) at a local private high school, the admission deadlines are fast approaching. St. John’s Prep, St. Mary’s of Lynn and Bishop Fenwick are all Dec. 20, Nazareth Academy is Jan. 6 and Pingree and Phillips Academy are both Jan. 15.
Make sure to check our local events calendar and boards section for even more happenings around Peabody.