Rachel is now a freshman at Peabody Veterans Memorial High School, and Higgins Principal Todd Bucey reports she once again donated hundreds of dollars worth of school supplies for Higgins students with money she earned from her summer paper route.
She originally donated materials at the start of last school year, spending between $300 and $500 on everything from paper, notebooks and rulers to erasers, pencils and pens. And offered to purchase more if that wasn't enough.
Bucey said that donation helped start a small, stockpile of materials staff could use to distribute to students in need.
Bucey notified Superintendent Joe Mastrocola and the School Committee of Rachel's latest donation in a recent letter.
"We are extremely grateful and want to thank Rachel Ellis...for her thoughtful and generous donation of school supplies to our school," Bucey wrote.
"Rachel's donation will go a long way toward ensuring a successful start to the school year for all Higgins students," he wrote. "A former Student Advisory Board member and peer mentor, Rachel's commitment to our school was exceptional and we were fortunate to count her as a member of our community. We are especially grateful that she continues to be involved at Higgins Middle School."
Here's the list of materials:
- 30 packages of 150 sheets of filler paper
- 40 packages of two smudge-free erasers
- 28 packages of 4 pk. dry erase markers
- 40 boxes of 24 pk. wooden No. 2 pencils
- 35 packages of 100 pk. ruled index cards
- 20 packages of 2 pk. yellow highlighters
- 50 packages of 10 pk. Papermate ballpoint black ink pens
- 101 red two-pocket folders
- 10 boxes of 100 pk. jumbo paperclips
- 10 boxes of 100 pk. standard paperclips
- 21 blue 70 sheet college ruled one subject notebooks
- 25 yellow 70 sheet college ruled one subject notebooks
- 21 green 70 sheet college ruled one subject notebooks
- 17 red 70 sheet college ruled one subject notebooks
- 14 purple 70 sheet college ruled one subject notebooks