.

Red Cross Comes to Aid of Couple Displaced By Fire

A Peabody couple's Thanksgiving was disrupted Thursday night after a two-alarm fire broke out at their George Road home.

File photo
File photo
A Peabody couple had to find another home late on Thanksgiving night after a two-alarm blaze broke out in their house at 5 George Rd.

American Red Cross volunteers met with the couple about two hours after the fire was first reported at 10:30 p.m. and supplied them with a recovery plan, smoke packs and comfort kits.

The fire, which spread from the chimney to the roof, was extinguished around 12:30 a.m.

Communications Director Kat Powers said the couple couldn't stay in the home that night and stayed with family instead.

Powers explained the smoke packs are strong detergents to remove the smell of smoke from clothing while comfort kits are gender-specific toiletries such as tooth brushes and razors.

She said volunteers will contact the residents in the coming days to make sure they have what they need to begin recovering from a fire.

Red Cross volunteers also came to the aid of five residents and a dog who were displaced by a fire at 84 Walnut St. the night of Nov. 14.

Volunteers provided those residents with emergency funds for food and clothing.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »