Wednesday, Oct. 30
- 3:51 a.m. State police transferred a call reporting a fire in a Tremont Street basement. Police said flammable materials were put inside a dryer. The dryer was removed from the building and there was no interior damage. The Fire Department did ventilate the building for smoke.
- 7:23 a.m. A Pond View Road resident reported his garage was broken into overnight. Police said an air compressor and a power washer were stolen from a shed.
- 8:16 a.m. Report of a fire on the roof of a building at Allied Waste at 300 Forest St. See related story.
- 10:51 a.m. Nicholas D. Tower, 32, of 24 Jenness St. #2, Lynn, was arrested, following a report of a theft at a Route 1 mobile home park. A female said her brother stole several items from her residence and admitted his guilt to her. Tower was charged with receiving stolen property over $250 and possession of a Class E drug.
- 1:34 p.m. A male came to the station to inquire if he had to register with police since he was staying at the Peabody Marriott for the evening. Police checked the Sex Offender Registry guidelines and determined that a log entry would be sufficient.
- 2:48 p.m. A caller on Lake Street reported a past break-in. Police said both the home and a shed were broken into. There was an attempt to enter a car as well, but that wasn't successful. Police said an electric motor and a few other items were stolen.
- 3:32 p.m. A caller reported a break-in to a garage on Granite Road. Police said the door was left unlocked and a cordless Sawzall and a Black & Decker battery were stolen.
- 4:42 p.m. A woman reported her daughter used her name to open a Comcast account and ran up a $445 bill that wasn't paid.
- 5:03 p.m. A caller on Summit Street reported a past break-in. Police said two saws, a backpack blower, a Craftsman toolkit and a Rotozip case were taken from the garage.
- 7:28 p.m. A caller reported there was a possible drunken driver on Aborn Street heading toward Boston Street. The vehicle was described as a blue four-door with the trunk open, lights on inside and driven by a male. The vehicle took a left onto Boston Street toward McDonald's. An officer finally located the car in front of the Sugar Cane Restaurant and said the driver was going to a meeting at the Knights of Columbus.
- 10:24 p.m. Report of a single car accident on Route 1 near the Hampton Inn. Police said the vehicle was unoccupied and the driver was last seen heading toward the Highlands at Dearborn apartments on foot. Officers checked Dearborn Road, but didn't find the man and then checked his residence on Magnolia Way. At some point, the man arrived back on the scene and the state police handled the incident.
- 11:05 p.m. A caller at 7 Mcintyre Ct. reported a fire in her bathroom. See related story.
Thursday, Oct. 31
- 1:23 a.m. Police responded to a report of a hit-and-run accident at the corner of Pulaski and Gardner streets. Police said a vehicle struck a street light at the corner as well as a light pole on North Central Street. There was also debris in the road at the corner of Pulaski Street and Pound Lane and officers said there was as strong smell of gas. The Fire Department was notified as well as Public Services and a vehicle was towed from the scene. Jose Benitez, 24, of 26 North Central St., Peabody, was subsequently arrested on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, leaving the scene of an accident with property damage and a one-way street violation.
- 6:21 a.m. William J. Allen, of 120 North St. #2, Salem, was arrested, following a motor vehicle stop on Route 1 near the Royal Garden. He was charged with driving with a suspended license and not having a valid inspection sticker.
- 6:46 a.m. A caller reported he struck a deer with his car on Route 128 South by Exit 25. State police and the highway department were notified and en route to remove the deer.
- 9:46 a.m. A resident at Brooksby Village reported an Internet scam.
- 10:58 a.m. A 22-year-old Lynn man was issued a court summons for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle after his brother reported he allegedly stole it from him at the Plaza Motel. The suspect was reportedly staying in Salem.
- 1:25 p.m. A female walked into the station to report that $230 in cash was taken from her purse while she was trying on shoes in Macy's.
For questions on this log, email firstname.lastname@example.org.