.

Three Families Displaced After Fire at Lowell Street Home

A fire broke out in a basement at a multi-family home on Lowell Street Friday afternoon. Multiple residents were temporarily displaced from the home.

Peabody Fire Department
Peabody Fire Department
Three families were burned out of their house Friday afternoon after a fire broke out in the basement of a multi-family home on Lowell Street.

A furnace fire was initially reported around 4:15 p.m. at 722 Lowell St., which is a three-unit building. The Fire Department dispatched three engines to the scene and, according to scanner reports, a basement fire was doused within a few minutes of crews' arrival.

According to scanner reports, there was an electrical wiring problem and the fire had extended to furniture and some pillows. The city's electrical inspector was called to the scene.

Power was also shut off to the building and Peabody Municipal Light Plant was requested to send a crew out as well to disconnect power at the home.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene and says four adults and three children are in need of temporary lodging. It wasn't immediately clear how long that might be.
Stephen Raymond December 07, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Great job by Peabody's fire and police personnel. Thankfully only property damage.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something