Today is Tuesday, Sept. 18. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- U.S. Congressman John Tierney will be at Brooksby Village this afternoon (2:30 p.m.) along with Max Richtman, President and CEO of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare (NCPSSM), to talk with local seniors about protecting Social Security and Medicare.
- Both boys' and girls' soccer squads tore it up against Revere Thursday, handing the conference opponents a loss apiece for the day and putting the boys up 1-0-1 (a 3-0 win) and the girls 1-0 in their season opener (8-1 over the Patriots). The Peabody girls are scheduled to travel to Lynn English today (3:45 p.m.).
- Peabody's varsity golf club is also slated to tee off against Marblehead today (4 p.m.) at The Meadow.
- Pick early this season, it's less crowded that way, says the folks at Brooksby Farm. They're talking about picking your own apples. The season at Brooksby opened Sept. 8 with Gala and McIntosh and continues with McIntosh through Sept. 22 daily, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Other varieties will be available for picking as they ripen later this month into early October. Among the goodies to pick from in the farmstore are cider donuts, peaches, apples, corn, tomatoes and pumpkins for those fall yard decorations or pies.
- Want to get Peabody Patch in your inbox every morning? Sign up for one of our newsletters then, which will deliver you with the latest headlines daily or weekly. You can also sign up to receive breaking news alerts and other important information.