Today is Monday, April 15. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- Patriots' Day: City offices, public schools and libraries will all be closed for the holiday, and it's also School Vacation Week from April 15-19. Those soldiers from South Danvers who fell at the Battle of Lexington will be honored in official ceremonies once again this morning. Click here for more details.
- Remember, no trash or recycling pickup today due to the holiday. Collection will be delayed by one day this week.
- Peabody High sports: The varsity baseball club (3-1) is scheduled to visit Salem today (10 a.m.) while the Witches' softball club travels to Peabody (1-0) for a 4 p.m. game. Boys' lacrosse (3-2) is also scheduled to visit Triton today (10 a.m.).
- The Girl Scouts are hosting a Hollywood Dance tonight at the Knights of Columbus for all Peabody Girl Scouts and their moms.
- The city's food pantry, Haven from Hunger, is in the running for a $20,000 grant from Walmart if it can get enough votes. Walmart's Fighting Hunger Together program is giving $3 million to 100 food banks and partner agencies and pantries across the country. At the Haven, the grant would go toward the annual summer food program, which provides free lunches for kids and which Executive Director Alyse Barbash is hoping to expand from seven sites to 12. You can find more information here.
Engage with your neighbors on Peabody Patch: