Today is Friday, Oct. 19. Here are five things to know today in Peabody to get your weekend started.
- Greek Festival: The annual fall festival at St. Vasilios Greek Orthodox Church begins today at 5 p.m. and lasts all weekend.
- Halloween Bash: The Torigian Family YMCA is holding its second annual spook-tacular bash and fundraiser this Saturday.
- Craft fair: The 12th Annual Higgins Holiday Craft Fair is this Saturday as well from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. at Higgins Middle School .
- Cheffin' it: Master Chef, author, friend and longtim customer of the Gokey's, Brendan Cronin, will be at Karl's Sausage Kitchen and European Market on Saturday for a book signing on his newly released autobiography and to chat with customers about his book and all things gastronomical. In "Cheffin—From Potatoes to Caviar: An Irish Chef’s Journey of Cooking and Travel," Cronin recalls his journey from his childhood on a small dairy farm in Western Ireland, to cooking in the great hotels of Limerick, Dublin and onward to the Swiss Alps, West Africa, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. The Gokeys say they'll be featuring Cronin's recipe for for Swiss Rosti paired with some Bloodwurst on the cafe menu for the day.
- Looking for donors: The Giving Hope Foundation is holding a bone marrow drive on Saturday afternoon at the Ancient Order of Hibernians Hall. For more information and guidelines about Be the Match visit: www.bethematch.org.
And here's a sixth thing to keep in mind for this weekend: Bishop Fenwick High School is holding an open house for prospective students and their families on Sunday from 1-3:30 p.m.