Today is Friday, Feb. 15. Here are five things to know in Peabody.
- Third grade winning essayists expound on George Peabody and his legacy in his hometown and abroad this morning. The winners of the 24th annual citywide essay contest will be recognized in a ceremony at the George Peabody House & Museum at 10 a.m. Peabody's 218th birthday is actually Feb. 18, but the annual wreath-laying ceremony at his gravesite in Harmony Grove Cemetery is Saturday at 11 a.m. The Trustees of the Peabody Institute Library invite you to join them there and afterward back at the George Peabody House for refreshments. In case of inclement weather, call 978-531-0100 for updates.
- The George Peabody Legacy Award will recognize local educators and others who have made great contributions to public education in Peabody. Have you nominated anyone yet for the special honor? The deadline is Feb. 15.
- Due to last weekend's blizzard, the Peabody High drama club Stage One has rescheduled its performances of to this evening (7 p.m.). This is also Stage One's entry into the state drama festival.
- The Peabody Democratic City Committee is formally reorganizing this Sunday at the AOH Hall and electing committee officers. All registered Democrats who are interested in joining one of the six ward committees are invited to attend. Read on for more information.
- North Shore brides-to-be: The Northshore Mall hosts the 4th Annual New England Bridal Affair, a regional bridal expo, this Saturday.
Don't forget to check the calendar for more events in Peabody.