Today is Monday, Feb. 11. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- The Peabody Veterans Memorial High School athletics office announced last week that standout female Tanners Catarina Rocha and Hayley Dowd both just signed their National Letters of Intent and Division I athletic scholarships, full rides to Providence College and Boston College, respectively. Rocha and Dowd both won Massachusetts Gatorade Athletes of the Year awards in 2012, along with numerous other accolades. Rocha will compete in cross country and track at Providence College -- she's a state champion in both sports --and placed 2nd at the Foot Locker National Cross-Country Meet in December. Dowd will continue her soccer career at Boston College. She is the PVMHS career record holder for goals and points and led the state in scoring in 2012, not to mention that state title in 2011 with the Tanners.
- No school: The schools are closed today as storm cleanup continues.
- No parking: The emergency parking ban is also still in effect until further notice. That means no parking in the street.
- The 2nd Annual Diaper Derby at the Liberty Tree Mall is this Saturday. The event, which is sponsored by the WIC (Women, Infants and Children) Nutrition Program and Bay State Parent Magazine, is limited to the first 72 registered babies. Registration ends Feb. 16. Is your baby ready to compete?
- Valentine's Day specials: Here are a few local dining specials this Thursday on Valentine's Day.