Welcome to our weekly business spotlight, where we get to know a local business owner a little better. If you're a business owner and would like to be featured in this column, email email@example.com.
This week we're chatting with Peabody resident Dennis Feld, owner of Evans Flowers with his wife Michele. The Warren Street shop and greenhouse has all sorts of flowers and gifts for any occasion.
- Q: How long have you been in business?
- A: Michele and I purchased Evans Flowers in 1984. It was established in 1875 on the same location as today. We are currently in our 28th year.
- Q: What led you to open your business in Peabody?
- A: I was living in Peabody since 1974 and when we decided to look for our own business, it seemed natural to begin our search in Peabody. When Evans Flowers became available, the timing seemed perfect for us as well as the old owner. Michele owned a hobby ceramic business and had an art backround with some experience working with flowers. I had a master's degree in business administration and 12 years experience in sales and marketing.
- Q: What positive experiences have you had as a business owner in Peabody?
- A: As Peabody business owners and Peabody residents, we have had many positive experiences in our 28 years. The residents of Peabody have loyally supported our business and in return we have tried to support each and every group or organization that asks for our help, in terms of donations. We truly believe that our neighbors and fellow residents appreciate the service we provide to this community.
- Q: What else are you involved with locally outside of your business?
- A: Because of our 6-1/2 days per week schedule, Michele and I have not had the opportunity to be involved with many outside activities or groups. Recently, I attempted to run for public office, but was unsuccessful.
- Q: And lastly, what’s one piece of advice you would give a new business owner or someone contemplating opening their first business?
- A: For someone considering opening their own business we recommend you be ready to make a 110 percent commitment to your business. Owning your own business can be very rewarding. As an added bonus, working together with my wife has been my greatest reward.