Today is the last day of 2012. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
1. Take the Polar Bear Plunge: No, this isn't in Peabody, but it's a great event. The 7th annual Swampscott Yacht Club Polar Bear Plunge is Tuesday at Fisherman's Beach in that town. Sign in begins at 10:15 a.m. with the icy dip at 11 a.m. Proceeds benefit the family of Dave Whelan. Forecast for the Plunge calls for sunny and highs of 36. Balmy!
2. Weather Watch: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35. West wind 11 to 14 mph.
3. Tips for New Year's Resolutions: If you make them, here are some tips on keeping them.
4. New Year's in the City: What are you doin' New Year's Eve? Here's our list of ways to celebrate here in Peabody.
5. Longtime City Hall Employees Retire: Mayor Ted Bettencourt took to his Facebook page on Friday to recognize Katherine Mandragouras, principal clerk in the treasurer’s office, who retired after 43 years of service, and Rose Kokoras, senior account clerk in the Water Department, who retired after 24 years of service.
Engage with your neighbors on Peabody Patch: