Today is Tuesday, Nov. 20. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- Promotions today: Mayor Ted Bettencourt will be promoting two veteran Peabody firefighters today in a ceremony at City Hall (2 p.m.). Lt. Dan Dean will be sworn in as a Captain while Ron Ciampa will officially attain Lieutenant's rank.
- Pasta, pasta: The Peabody High football team's annual pre-Thanksgiving pasta dinner is Wednesday night at St. Adelaide's Church at 6 p.m.
- And in related news, congratulations go to the winners of the Peabody Football Boosters Patriots Raffle -- the Murphys, whose son is a freshman for the Tanners, and firefighter Steve Sullivan, who works out of the Prospect Street station.
- Haven from Hunger and Henry's Market of Beverly will be serving up a free Thanksgiving Dinner at the food pantry Thursday at noon. Stop on by.
- The Holocaust Center Boston North is now accepting applications for this year's Sonia Schreiber Weitz Upstander Award. Two students in grades 7-12 will be recognized at the awards ceremony at Yom HaShoah, an annual interfaith commemoration of the Holocaust on April 8, 2013 at Peabody Veterans Memorial High School. Click here for more information on the award.
And one more thing to know coming up: Peabody firefighters will be out at different locations this week collecting money for the annual Muscular Dystrophy Association boot drive. Firefighters will be at Stop & Shop, Kappy's and Shaw's Wednesday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. and at the Northshore Mall on Friday, same time.