Today is the 131st time Labor Day has been celebrated in the United States, with the first holiday marked by the Central Labor Union on Sept. 5, 1882, in New York City, according to the USDL website.
Whether you're among the unlucky few who have to clock in today, or you'll be relaxing at home or enjoying the holiday with friends, Peabody Patch has got your back with a list of what's closed today around town:
- All city offices will be closed for Labor Day.
- Trash and recycling collection is delayed one day.
- The U.S. Post Office is closed.
- All banks are closed.
- Public schools are closed.
- Libraries are closed through the weekend and reopen on Tuesday.
- Some retail business are open, while some are closed. The decision is left up to the owner's discretion. The same applies to restaurants: they can open or stay closed for the day.
- All public transportation, whether it be bus, subway, trolley, commuter rail, etc. will run on a Sunday schedule.
Becca Manning contributed to this report.