- Peabody eighth-graders Jake Gustin and Ava Marotta joined about 400 of their peers Saturday down in Boston to kick off a year of service and leadership initiatives by rolling up their sleeves at some Boston nonprofits alongside Gov. Deval Patrick. Project 351 was started a few years ago by Patrick as an annual program for middle school students and also remembers the work and influence of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Higgins Middle School Principal Todd Bucey joined his two students on Saturday and shared a few updates throughout the day.
- And in other news at the Higgins, Brian Gravel of GraVoC Associates stopped by the school last week to help students create an anti-bullying Facebook page.
- Not only does the Peabody Police Department have its own YouTube channel in addition to Facebook and Twitter accounts, the department is also on Instagram. Fellow users are encouraged to tag @peabodypd in photos of events in Peabody.
- Amanda Ruano, a recent Peabody transplant, is training to run the Boston Marathon in April as part of the team from Mass. General Hospital, where she works as a Registered Nurse. The team raises funds for the pediatric hematology-oncology program at MGH.
- There are still spaces open in a number of winter programs from the Peabody Recreation Department. You can register online, by fax 978-535-0483 or in person at 50 Farm Ave. Children's programs include: Broadway Kids, musical theatre workshops, dodge ball, Super Sports, gymnastics, hip hop, taekwondo, media club, art classes and vacation week and early release day workshops. Early Release Day Programs: Jan. 30 -- snow tubing; March 6 -- middle school skiing and snowboarding trip; March 13 -- Fire and Ice; March 19 -- indoor rock climbing. Preschool programs include: Tiny Tumblers Gymnastics, basketball and soccer. Adult programs include: watercolor and decorative painting classes, taekwondo and improv. Outdoor enthusiasts can also join in for cross country skiing and snowshoeing at Brooksby Farm (rentals and lessons available).
Make sure to check our local events calendar and boards section for even more happenings around Peabody.