- The annual menorah lighting and family Chanukah party over at the Northshore Mall is Wednesday from 3:30-5 p.m. There will be Chanukah-themed crafts and activities, a show by Wacky Chad from Faneuil Hall in Boston, Chanukah gifts for sale, balloon shaping and special treats including hot latkes, chocolate coins and doughnuts. All the fun will be happening over in the JCPenny Court.
- City Hall, all branches of the public library and other city offices will be closed both Thursday and Friday this week.
- The holiday also means trash and recycling pickup will be delayed by one day, starting Thursday. Friday's collection will be picked up on Saturday.
- Chanukah on Main Street: The Peabody Downtown Association and Chabad of Peabody are co-sponsoring a Chanukah on Main Street party Friday morning at the Knights of Columbus. There will be food, crafts, music, a magic show and an interactive downtown treasure hunt with participating local businesses. It's free.
- The Giving Garden at the Liberty Tree Mall is now open to accept donations to local charities through the holiday season. The five trees, representing five organizations, are located in the Best Buy wing of the mall. Each tree contains ornaments of specific wishes for that organization and mall shoppers can then purchase an item listed and bring it back to the Giving Garden by Dec. 20 to ensure delivery by Christmas. Gifts can also be dropped off directly at each organization. This year it's Haven from Hunger, Operation Troop Support, Salvation Army Angel Tree, Toys for Tots and Hope on Wheels (run by Hyundai Village of Danvers).
Make sure to check our local events calendar and boards section for even more happenings around Peabody.