If you're planning on attending the funeral this morning for Firefighter James Rice or standing along the procession route to the church, here's what you need to know, courtesy of the Peabody Police Department.
- The funeral service is Friday at 10 a.m. at St. John the Baptist Church, located at 16 Church St. (the service would have been held at St. Vasilios Greek Orthodox Church if not for interior renovations going on).
- Police say that from 7 a.m. to approximately noon, Lowell Street from Sawyer Road to Peabody Square will be closed.
- From approximately 9-10:30 a.m. expect multiple streets along the funeral procession route to be closed.
- The route (see the map) begins at Conway, Cahill-Brodeur Funeral Home at 82 Lynn St. and processes down to Washington Street, turning left onto Foster Street and down to Peabody Square, then up Lowell Street to School Street and into the church parking lot.
- Streets along and around the processional route may be closed during this time frame. Motorists should expect traffic delays.
- Some parking will be available at or near the church, but additional parking will be at the South Memorial School and Higgins Middle School. A bus will provide transportation to the church.
In addition to the several thousand firefighters from across the country and Canada expected to attend the funeral, a number of more local dignitaries will also be in attendance.
Peabody police say the latest list includes Gov. Deval Patrick, Lt. Gov. Tim Murray, state Speaker of the House Tom DeLeo, state Senate President Therese Murray and senators Fred Berry and Stephen Brewer, U.S. Congressman John Tierney, Deputy Director Roger Lowe for U.S. Sen. John Kerry, state Reps. John Keenan, Ted Speliotis, Joyce Spiliotis and Jerry Parisella, Mayor Michael Bonfanti and Mayor-elect Ted Bettencourt.
See More on Patch
- Tractor-Tractor Rollover on Rte 1 Clogs Traffic for Hours
- Telemarketer Tells Man He'll Die Tomorrow and a Fake Hostage Scam
- East End Resident Reports 5 Guns Stolen; Unexplained Gunshot Sounds
- Resident Says Thief Stole His Light Post; Poolside Drinks a No-No at Hotel
- Report of Man With His Pants Down in Restaurant Entrance
Most Popular articles
- Driver in Fatal Crash to be Charged With Vehicular Homicide
- One Person Reportedly Dead After Car Hits Parked Tow Truck
- Peabody Man Charged With Motor Vehicle Homicide Held on $50K Bail
- Peabody Police to Honor 28 Officers for 'Exemplary' Service
- Police Break Up Party, Charge 14 Teens as Minors in Possession of Alcohol