Five Things to Know: Trash and Recycling Pickup Delayed One Day
Essential daily information at a glance, including a one-day delay in the city's trash and recycling pickup because of Presidents Day.
1. Weather Watch: Showers likely, mainly after 5 p.m. Increasing clouds, with a high near 46.
2. Trash & Recycling One Day Late: Because of yesterday's holiday, the city will be picking up trash and recycling one day late this week.
3. Girl Scout Cookies at the mall: It's still cookie season. The Girl Scouts will be in front of Forever 21 at the Northshore Mall Tuesday from 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
4. Game Time at the PEM: My wife and sister-in-law took in the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem yesterday and were happy to see throngs of children there enjoying Vacation Week activities. The fun runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day this week. Here's today's lineup.
5. The Geological History of Salem Sound: Plan ahead for tomorrow, when Dr. Lindley Hanson, a professor at Salem State University whose specialty is the geology of New England, will give an illustrated presentation about the geologic processes that shaped our harbors and coasts. Free. 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Public Library in Marblehead. This is a repeat performance of a packed-house January talk.
Engage with your neighbors on Peabody Patch: