Driver Doesn't Yield to Pedestrians Then 'Flips' Them Off
The following information was provided by the Peabody Police Department. Where charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following are excerpts from arrest reports in the Peabody Police Department press log from Sept. 14-16.
Friday, Sept. 14
- 2:09 p.m. Marlon Dichiara, 23, of 432 Asbury St., Hamilton, was arrested, following a car chase into Salem. Peabody officers initially responded to a report of drug violations outside Stop & Shop and upon their arrival, a man fled the scene in a green station wagon. Police chased the car into Salem, but eventually called off the pursuit and let Salem officers handle it. The car was found unoccupied on Hillside Avenue in Salem (off of Highland Avenue) and a Peabody officer was called to the scene to assist. The vehicle was towed to the Peabody station. Dichiara was later taken into custody on charges of possession of a Class A drug and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Police said the car's ignition was intact and there was a backpack full of GPS devices in the backseat. The owner of the vehicle was a Beverly resident.
- 2:28 p.m. James M. Duffy, of 10 Morton Ave., Saugus, was arrested on a warrant and taken to Peabody District Court. He was initially served a restraining order by an officer, but then taken to court for an arraignment.
- 2:52 p.m. A caller reported a past attempted break-in at a Lynn Street home. Police said the back door was kicked in, but no one actually entered the home.
- 4:50 p.m. Jose Cepeda, 20, of 145 Summit St. #1, Peabody, was arrested, following a report of a domestic disturbance. He was charged with domestic assault and battery and intimidating a witness.
- 5:04 p.m. A caller on Lynnfield Street reported a white Chevrolet was following her and the driver was throwing loose change at her vehicle. She said the road rage started while she was merging at Centennial Drive. Police spoke to both motorists and advised them to stop throwing change at each other's vehicles.
- 6:04 p.m. A caller reported a person driving a Toyota Corolla did not yield to pedestrians crossing Foster Street and then "flipped them off while passing by."
- 7:48 p.m. A female pedestrian was struck by a motor vehicle while crossing Lowell Street near City Hall. Police said the woman, who lives at a Central Street apartment, was seriously injured and transported to Mass. General Hospital in Boston. DPS was notified to place traffic cones in the area while police shut down the street in order to investigate the accident. Police said the vehicle that hit the woman slammed on its breaks, but was unable to stop in time. Another vehicle then rear-ended that one. A state police reconstruction team was called to the scene as well. No charges were immediately sought against the driver.
- 8:39 p.m. Salem police reported there was an intoxicated male leaning up against a lightpost outside the CVS on Main Street. Officers spoke with the man who said he wasn't feeling well and was waiting for the next bus to arrive.
- 9:09 p.m. Police received multiple reports of a possible drunken driver in a dark blue pickup truck heading west on Lowell Street near Bourbon Street. Callers said the truck crossed the yellow median line multiple times. West Peabody units were notified, but were unable to find the truck.
- 10:36 p.m. Police received a report of a man possiblly overdosed on drugs outside Dunkin' Donuts on Central Street, but the caller did not want to stay on the line to assist the dispatcher. Police said the person in question, a 29-year-old man, was the same man from CVS earlier in the night. He said he slept through his bus and would walk home to Danvers.
Saturday, Sept. 15
- 12:27 a.m. Employees at Champions Pub reported an intoxicated man wearing a red shirt was punching cars parked along Foster Street and doing handstands in the roadway. Police were unable to find the man.
- 1:01 a.m. A caller reported a loud party at a Blackstone Street home. An officer said a vehicle that was causing a disturbance had left the area. The officer reported that an uninvited guest threw a beer bottle through a front window of the house. The suspect then fled in a grey sedan.
- 10:57 a.m. A caller at Arrington Towing on Webster Street reported a camera, ring and CD changer were taken from her motor vehicle.
- 12:43 p.m. A Howard Avenue resident reported an unknown person stole his motorcycle -- a blue 2009 Yamaha -- from his driveway sometime since 11:30 p.m. the night before.
- 1:35 p.m. A caller on Crane Brook Way reported some suspicious activity overnight. Police said it appeared someone may have tried to break into the residence.
- 4:43 p.m. A 26-year-old Lynn man was issued a court summons for two counts of threats to commit a crime and larceny under $250, following a report from a female caller at Mobile Home Estates of a stolen cell phone.
- 5:12 p.m. A caller on Paleologos Street reported seeing a male "rolling a joint" in a white Honda Civic. He said the car left the scene after he called police.
- 5:17 p.m. Police received a report of a possible active break-in on Coleman Street. The caller did not enter the home and was unsure if anyone was inside. She said the front door was kicked in. Officers surrounded the home and entered, but there was no one inside. It did not appear anything was taken.
- 9:03 p.m. Two 23-year-old Methuen men were each issued court summonses -- one for larceny over $250 and one for receiving stolen property over $250 -- following a report of a stolen iPhone from a man at Latitudes Sports Clubs.
- 10:59 p.m. Michael Carvalho, 40, of 195 Washington St. #2, Peabody, was arrested, following a report of suspicious activity at Diamond Auto Body on Washington Street. He was charged with possession of Class C and E drugs. Police said there was a suspicious male in the parking lot of the shop carrying a backpack.
- 11:07 p.m. A Reed Road resident reported his prescribed methadone and "Sladder" were taken from his home. Police said there did not appear to be a forced entry. The man noticed his medication was taken from the top of his dresser.
Sunday, Sept. 16
- 12:48 a.m. James R. Scaff, of 5 Reardon Dr., Middletown, R.I., was arrested, following a report of a domestic disturbance at SpringHill Suites. He was charged with domestic assault and battery and larceny over $250.
- 9:27 a.m. A caller at the Pine Street office park reported people were flying remote control planes and buzzing people in the park.
- 1:52 p.m. A caller reported kids were playing "chicken" in the road on Perkins Street near the Skate Park. Police spoke to juveniles at the park who denied the incident.
For questions on this log, email firstname.lastname@example.org.