Complex Evacuated After Grill Fire Inside Condo Unit
The following information was submitted by the Peabody Police Department. Where charges or arrests are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following are excerpts from reports in the Peabody Police Department press log from Oct. 9-10.
Sunday, Oct. 9
- 2:58 p.m. A 24-year-old Beverly woman was issued a summons for shoplifting at JC Penney.
- 3:45 p.m. A caller at Advanced Automotive Concepts on Walnut Street reported hearing noises coming from the roof of the building. Police were unable find anyone on the roof at the time, but suspected local transient people may have been tossing rocks up there.
- 3:57 p.m. A caller at the Portuguese American War Veterans Club reported a dispute over a cake. An officer at the scene said the caterer had already left by the time he arrived and the complainant did not reveal himself.
- 6:01 p.m. Police received a report of a male drinking at the Leather City Common. Officers located one person and gave him a ride to the Salem line.
- 7:20 p.m. John A. Cardone, 23, of 27 Glen Dr., Peabody, was arrested, following a motor vehicle stop at the intersection of Russell and Lowell streets. Cardone was charged with domestic assault and battery.
- 9:16 p.m. Residents at Maple Village were evacuated briefly, following a report of a fire in the condominium complex. The Fire Department said a George Forman grill inside a second-floor unit was on fire. The grill was smoking for about an hour.
Monday, Oct. 10
- 10:38 a.m. Joao Dasilva, 50, of 22 Tracey St., Peabody, was arrested, following a motor vehicle stop on Howley Street. He was charged with unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.
- 12:44 p.m. The manager at Brooksby Farm reported a man was stealing apples from the orchard. The suspect was described as a white male, 35- to 40-years-old, with blond hair and a light blue T-shirt. Police said the apples were returned and the situation was resolved.
- 1:36 p.m. Mirandir S. DeFreitas, 34, of 12 Endicott St. #1, Peabody, was arrested, following a motor vehicle stop at the corner of Washington Street and Allen's Lane. DeFreitas was charged with driving with a suspended license and for failure to display the owner's name of the truck.