Caller Reports Vagrants Making Camp at Temple at Night
The following information was submitted by the Peabody Police Department. Where charges are mentioned, it does not indicate a conviction.
The following are excerpts from reports in the Peabody Police Department press log from Jan. 13-14.
Sunday, Jan. 13
- 3:08 p.m. A caller on Veterans Memorial Drive reported her car window was smashed earlier that day, but nothing was taken.
- 3:28 p.m. A caller on Wright Street reported he and a friend were at the YMCA earlier in the day and both their cell phones, a wallet with gift cards and $70 cash and a pair of pants were stolen from an unsecured area.
- 5:34 p.m. A caller reported a white female and two white males were in a car out in front of McDonald's on Main Street with either a baseball bat or a pipe. Police said they were gone before officers arrived.
- 6:49 p.m. A caller at North Shore Taxi reported someone entered his unlocked vehicle and stole coins.
- 7:19 p.m. Waldo E. Banks, 49, of 261 Newbury St. #66, Peabody, was arrested at his residence on a straight warrant out of Framingham District Court. Police were initially called to the scene on a report of an unwanted male.
Monday, Jan. 14
- 12:01 a.m. Police received a report of a fight in progress at the Portuguese-American War Veterans Post. Police at the scene said the combatants had left the area in an unknown vehicle. The club was shut down for the night and police said a cruiser would "float the area while patrons leave."
- 12:48 a.m. A 21-year-old Peabody man was issued a court summons for speeding and driving with a suspended license after a motor vehicle stop on Mason Street.
- 1:34 a.m. A caller reported the trash barrels were overflowing in Raddin Park. Police said DPS would "correct" the problem first thing in the morning.
- 8:46 a.m. Police received a report of a larceny at Kelly Motor Group on Cross Street. Twelve tires and rims were stolen off three cars parked in the lot.
- 9:42 a.m. A caller at Temple Ner Tamid reported vagrants were entering the building at night. An officer said he was informed that someone was making a camp on the site at night.
- 10:15 a.m. An employee at Best Gas reported there was a male at the gas station who had passed a counterfeit $20 bill last week. The male had returned and was reportedly harassing the employee. An officer said he would document that the customer -- a 37-year-old Maine resident -- was passing counterfeit $20 bills.
- 12:57 p.m. A female caller reported her iPhone was stolen in Salem and she believed she tracked the phone to the area of Dustin Street. Police continued the search, but were unable to find the phone. The female said she would fill out a report with the Salem Police Department.
- 1:24 p.m. A male worker fell off staging on Washington Street and was transported to Salem Hospital by ambulance. Police said the staging was about 10 feet off the ground. OSHA did respond to the worksite to investigate. No further details were available.
For questions on this log, email firstname.lastname@example.org.