5 Things You Need to Know Today, May 2
Here's what happening in Peabody. Don't forget to register for the 18th annual Peabody Day at Salem Country Club.
Today is Wednesday, May 2. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- Today's weather: Chance of rain and the high for today is 49 degrees.
- Mayor Ted Bettencourt and Fire Chief Steven Pasdon will make two formal promotions today within the Fire Department: Tracy Collins will become Peabody's first female lieutenant and Lt. Tom Tremblay will be elevated to Captain's rank.
- The race for Berry's seat: State Senate candidate Joan Lovely filed her nomination papers with city and town clerks within the 2nd Essex District yesterday, turning in 1,592 total signatures from residents, reports Lovely's campaign. Only 300 are needed to be certified at the local level before being submitted to the Secretary of State's office. Lovely says she continues to build a "strong grassroots effort that gives all citizens a chance to be heard." The eight-term Salem city councilor says it's also critical to have a senator who knows first-hand what cities and towns are going through to "deal with municipal budgets, sluggish economies, aging infrastructures and the ever increasing demands on school resources and public services."
- Today is Walk and Bike to School Day in Massachusetts, and the state Department of Transportation says thousands of elementary and middle school-aged children will do just that today via the Safe Routes to School Program. Last year, 162 schools from across Massachusetts participated in this event, and more than 100 schools have become new partners since then, according to MassDOT. Within Peabody, the West Memorial Elementary School is one of those partners. The city finally snipped the ribbon on that project last fall, signaling the completion of access and safety improvements to the school paid for with federal transportation dollars. The project improved street crossings, upgraded sidewalks, new pavement markings, adding new curbing and a new pedestrian flashing warning at the corner of Lowell Street and Herrick Road, all to make it easier and safer for students to walk or bike to school.
- Register for Peabody Day at the Salem Country Club: You can sign up today at the Torigian Center for the 18th annual Peabody Golf Day charity tournament.