5 Things You Need to Know Today, April 17
Public access channel change, half price drinks at Sonic, the school budget and Battle of the Bands.
Today is Tuesday, April 17. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- Today's weather: Sunny with a high near 77 degrees and a westerly wind between 13 and 18 mph.
- If you're looking for general public access programming in Peabody, you'll have to surf all the way over to Channel 99 instead of Channel 10, starting today. Peabody Access Telecommunications says the channel change-up is due to the fact that WWDP, a Boston area broadcast television station that carries the ShopNBC network, is exercising its rights under Federal Communications Commission rules that allow it to be carried on the same channel as its off-air broadcast signal, Channel 10 on the Comcast network. The change matches up with the station number on other networks and affects a number of public access stations across Eastern Massachusetts. PAT says its education and government programming channels, 8 and 9, will not be affected.
- Wash away Tax Day: Today is the last day to file your income taxes with the Internal Revenue Service, unless you're filing for an extension, and as a way to give yourself a break and celebrate, Sonic is offering a special deal: half price drinks and slushes all day long. You can stop in and try any one of those 398,929 flavor combinations. Drinks may include soda, iced tea, slushes and limeades -- combos and Wacky Pack Meals excluded. Sonicdrivein.com also has The Tax Cut game, which you can check out today as well.
- Mayor Ted Bettencourt says he is prepared to bring a target number with him to the next school budget session, which is planned for this Tuesday, 6 p.m. at the Kiley School. The budget proposed by Interim Superintendent Herb Levine of $64.5 million is a 3 percent increase over last year's approved budget.
- Battle of the Bands: Patch is holding a Video Battle of the Bands contest in which local bands will square off for musical supremacy. The Patch Video Battle of the Bands is the chance of a lifetime for local musicians. This is a chance for you and your bandmates to show off your abilities as musicians and earn some terrific prizes. The grand prize winner will get to headline a gig at The Harp in Boston in June. Submissions are due by noon on Friday, April 20.