5 Things to Know: Follow the Crumbs With Hansel and Gretel
The middle school drama club is putting on two performances of "Hansel and Gretel" this weekend.
Today is Friday, Jan. 11. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- Hansel and Gretel: The Higgins Middle School Drama Club is taking the stage to act out a classic fairy tale this weekend. This version of "Hansel and Gretel" for young audiences and performers is adapted and dramatized from the Brothers Grimm original by Vera Morris. The Higgins drama club's performances this weekend are open to the public and will be 7 p.m. Friday and 2 p.m. Saturday in the school auditorium. Tickets are $4 at the door.
- Book release party: Local author Amber Newberry will be hosting a book signing and release party for her debut novel, "Walls of Ash," tonight (6 p.m.) at the ArcWorks Community Art Center. The story is a historical gothic romance novel from Newberry, who is a Salem resident. There will be treats, a raffle and copies of "Walls of Ash" for sale. You can also find eBook versions on Amazon, Smashwords, Scribd and eventually Barnes and Noble.
- Free flu shots: The Peabody Health Department is offering free seasonal flu shots to residents ages 10 and up by appointment only and while supplies last.
- Food for fines: The Peabody Institute Library is running its annual program to benefit Haven from Hunger, starting Jan. 14. Donations of canned goods and other non-perishable items will be accepted to clear overdue fines on Peabody-owned library materials.
- Youth sports signups: The annual citywide youth sports signups will be held Jan. 26 and Feb. 2 from 9 a.m. - noon at the Higgins Middle School cafeteria on both days. Most Peabody youth sports organizations will be present for questions and registrations. If you have questions, contact the organizations directly. The Peabody Recreation Department sponsors the event, but does not handle any of the registrations. A copy of your child's birth certificate is required if you will be registering for sports. You can find contact information for the various sports on the parks and recreation page of the city's website.
Engage with your neighbors on Peabody Patch: