5 Things to Know: Firefighter Medal of Honor for Rice
James Rice and Jon Davies will both receive the Medal of Honor posthumously at the 23rd Annual Firefighter of the Year awards.
Today is Tuesday, Dec. 18. Here are five things to know today in Peabody.
- The late James Rice and five other Peabody firefighters will receive Firefighter of the Year awards today in an annual ceremony out in Worcester, officiated by Gov. Deval Patrick and other state officials. Rice and Worcester firefighter Jon Davies, who also died in the duty last December, will both receive the Medal of Honor posthumously.
- Haven from Hunger will be giving new toys and clothing to children ages 1-12 who are there with their families to receive dinner on Dec. 21. The Haven still needs some help in making sure all the kids on the list are covered. Call 978-531-1530 for more information. Gifts need to be dropped off before noon on Dec. 20.
- Holiday toy drive: The Police Department's annual holiday toy drive runs until Dec. 21. Drop off new, unwrapped toys in the station lobby.
- Fit Werx is offering a special deal with some Christmas spirit -- purchase a Fit Werx Gift Card or Gift Certificate before Dec. 25 and the company will donate 10 percent of the value of the card to four charity events Fit Werx is directly sponsoring for 2013. The four charities that are part of the promotion are the American Diabetes Association for the Tour de Cure, the Norris Cotton Cancer Center for the Prouty Ride, the Multiple Sclerosis Society for the MS150/Cape Cod Getaway and the Vermont Food Bank for the Harpoon Point to Point Ride.
- Pics & Clips: Did you know you can easily share photos and videos of Peabody people and places with your neighbors right here on Peabody Patch? It's pretty easy, just head over to our Pics & Clips section and click that big "Upload" button.